ABOUT OUR CHURCH
On June 7, 1944, two pastors from Iowa arrived in Fairbanks to survey the area and establish a congregation for the Evangelical Lutheran Church. They held their first service June 11th in the Elks Hall. When the Elks Hall burned down, services were held in the Eagles Hall. The congregation was organized August 18th, 1944, and by the end of the year had 89 baptized members. Property on 4th Avenue was purchased between Cushman and Lacey, and on November 5th, 1944, the new church was dedicated and the Rev. Joseph Luthro installed. A parsonage was constructed and a Lutheran Service Center was housed in the church basement to welcome servicemen.